Sunday, May 04, 2008

Lots of training lately, and driving.

I was sent to Ketchikan last week for a Phytoplankton Monitoring workshop. They sent me home with a microscope and a small lab to monitor phytoplankton in the cove. This is part of a nationwide monitoring network, the Alaska portion should be on the National Ocean Service site soon. When I got back I went into a Commercial Fishing Emergency Instruction and Onboard Drill course. Then I got to teach some of the modules to the students at the pool in Craig. They seemed to enjoy it, hopefully they won't need it. Then the ferry started up again on Friday so I am back to work on that as well. I saw six or seven killer whales yesterday and I have the first two humpbacks so far this season. I also saw another bear on the road. The road is getting some pavement so there are flaggers and lots of stuff to look at too. There's Brian on the roller and Jean standing by with her stop sign in case Brian gets out of control. I got home from the ferry and had a call from the Coast Gaurd that had to do with my harbormastering job and another from the National Weather Service about a weather station on a rock out in the middle of the straights that went out of service over the winter. They want me to check on it. That one may be a bit over my head but the rest is doable. No days off for a while. Summer is here.

No comments: