Monday, February 11, 2008

Many Random Jobs-Its tax time

In order to survive in a place that doesn't have any industry, I have to work many different jobs at a time. The last time I did my taxes I had 7 w-2s to turn in and a couple of 1099s. This past year I was working on the new ferry here in town. It looked really big at its christening in Washington state.
Here it is pulling into Wrangell with the cargo doors open and ready to offload. I work on the forward deck doing the bow lines and spring line during dockings. It is 198 ft long and we go between here, Wrangell and Petersberg four days a week. See the northern route for more info. http://www.interislandferry.com/ They are 12 hour days and the work is very much appreciated as it is hard to find work locally. My commute to the dock is about 1/2 mile. I think Jonathan took this picture while I was working. The ferry makes it much easier to get materials as we don't have any stores. We sprung for sheetrock for the cabin because we could actually get it here by ferry.

Another job I have is working for the school district with a program called ECOVan, which is a partnership with the Forest Service. It focuses on outdoor education and watersheds. We are developing a website for it: www.sisd.org go to PROGRAMS on the left and select ECOVan. We have done some outdoor survival exercises like firebuilding and shelter building. Right now we are doing a K-12 program on alternative energy. The kids will be building their own hydro power wheels and windmills. They also had to inventory their school appliances for energy use in watts and kWh. Power is a big issue here because our local diesel generator produces power for town at $.48/kWh, the national average is around $.07/kWh. Thank god for squirrel power!
Yet another job I have is the harbormaster job. With something like 68 slips available it is not that time consuming especially in the middle of winter. Our little town has outgrown this harbor. It was originally built by the logging camp and was designed really for skiffs. Today people are upgrading to really nice sport fishing boats and more commercial boats are using this end of the island for seasonal moorage so they really don't fit into the slips that we have. The good news is that we got a $1 million grant to upgrade the harbor. We just need another $.5 million to get power down there. I would love to do some experimental tidal energy production so if there are any orgs out there reading this andd you need a guinea pig location, please send your proposals. We have 17 foot tides in the harbor.
Ok that is it for the picture perfect jobs, I am not going to go into the other ones. At least until my taxes are done.

No comments: