Monday, March 24, 2008

Marsh, grassy flats, and a beaver dam

Last week I took the cat and Dolly out for a walk. The tide was in so I thought we could go see if there were any birds out at the grassy flats. I always call them the marsh but noone knows them by that name here. Apparently the propper name for them is a fens. Anyway it was a nice walk. I found a duck decoy and a beaver dam under construction. The kitty even walked next to Dolly and I the whole way.
This is a beaver dam under construction. With fresh cuts and green boughs. The beaver is blocking off a small creek draining through the marsh but it will soon be much wider...The water is running around the dam and eroding the bank down stream. I will have to go back and see if beaver goes all the way across.This is the logging area not far from the dam. This new dam is about a hundred feet in front of an older dam. That is about four times wider than this new dam. This was the logging area for the older dam. The woods have turned to a swamp behind this dam. It is all flooded and the trees that are still standing are dead. Kitty pushed through for a while but it got a little quaggy. Dolly and I looked for the beaver but we never saw it. Secretly I wanted to have a beaver down by the cabin so we would have a nice pool. Well that secret is out.

No comments: